Adoption!!!

The Rummerys are adopting! God placed adoption on our hearts about two years ago as a result of mission trips we took with our church in 2009 and 2010 to an orphanage in Peru. Well, to be honest, Cindy has had this on her heart since I took a trip to an orphanage in Ukraine in 1998, and it has taken me this long to open my heart to adoption! Read More Here

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Peru's Reality

After Dad and Katie talked to Mom and me about adoption, I was so excited about the idea!  We spent the next year praying, reading on the subject, and getting advice from others if it was God’s will for our family to adopt internationally.  We decided to have all four of us go on the Peru missions trip to the orphanage that next summer.

After many hours of planning, packing, learning Spanish, and traveling, we finally made it to Lima, Peru, the capital city!  The orphanage is located near Trujillo, about a 10-hour drive by bus through the mountains along the coast from Lima.



 Along that bus ride was when the reality of third-world country poverty really hit me.  I had seen the same kind of poverty before in the Dominican Republic and Mexico, but it had not impacted me as much as it did on this bus ride.  Whenever I looked out the window, the poverty just kept going and going—for 10 hours.  That’s like from my house to Birmingham, AL.  It seemed like it would never end.  So many people had to live like this.




I don't think pictures can even start to accurately depict what it is like, but I think they can give a small window into the reality of life in many areas of Peru.

This was before we even got to the orphanage!


~Christina

1 comment: